Welcome to spiciest.com, the world full of delicious, tantalizing, savory, and yummy and spice full recipes. If you love to cook you must try out this flavorful Appetizing Hyderabadi Baghaar-e-Baingan Recipe in restaurant style. If you’re looking to tantalize your taste buds with a flavorful and aromatic dish, then you must-try it.
It is a popular and delicious dish in the culinary repertoire of Hyderabad. Hyderabadi Baghaar-e-Baingan is a combination of baingan, also known as eggplants in english, and a flavorful tempering of spices called baghaar in Urdu which applies after making of meal.
Ingredients with Quantity
- 3 tbs Coriander seeds (Sabut dhania)
- 3 tbs Cumin seeds (Zeera)
- 3 tbs Sesame seeds (Safed till)
- 3 tbs Poppy seeds (Kashkhash)
- 3 tbs Desiccated coconut (Khopra)
- 3 tbs raw Peanuts (Moong phali)
- 750 gram round Eggplants (Baigan)
- Salt to taste (Namak)
- ½ Cup Water (Pani)
- 4-5 Onion (Pyaz)
- ¾ Cup Oil
- 1 tbs Ginger garlic paste (Adrak lehsan paste)
- ¼ tsp Nigella seeds (Kalonji)
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds (Zeera)
- 7-8 Whole red chilies (Sabut lal mirch)
- 9-10 Curry leaves (Curry pata)
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder (Haldee powder)
- 1 tbs Red chili powder (Lal mirch powder)
- 1 tsp or to taste Salt (Namak)
- ½ Cup or as required Water (Pani)
- 2 Cups Tamarind pulp (Imli ka gooda)
- ½ Cup or as much gravy required Water (Pani)
Preparation of Appetizing Hyderabadi Baghaar-e-Baingan Recipe
Step 1: Roasting and grinding the Spices
- Take cumin seeds, cumin seeds, sesame seeds, poppy seeds and desiccated coconut, clean them thoroughly.
- Then take a frying pan, place it on the low medium flame and heat it.
- Now add cleaned cumin seeds, cumin seeds, sesame seeds, poppy seeds and desiccated coconut and roast them for 1 minute on low flame.
- Then set it aside.
- Now add raw peanuts into that pan and roast it until light golden and release their aroma, and set aside to let it cool.
- Mix them well and grind them into coarse powder.
Step 2: Fire Roasting and grinding Onions
- Take onions as a whole without peeling off (with skin) and fire roast on low flame until skin is burnt.
- Peel off the burnt skin and cut them roughly or into 7-8 pieces.
- Take a spice chopper and add half cup of water in it. Then add roasted onions in it and make a fine paste. Set it aside.
Step 3: Preparing Eggplants
- Take eggplants of small or medium sized and wash them thoroughly.
- Make small 4 cuts in eggplant or 2 is small in size, but do not separate them.
- Sprinkle salt on eggplants according to your taste or as mentioned in ingredients.
- Stuffed the grind spices in eggplant evenly and set aside.
- If you like you can also fry the eggplants for 2-3 minutes in heated oil then add in gravy.
Step 4: Cooking Gravy
- Take a deep pan and add oil in it and heat on low medium flame.
- Then add ginger garlic paste and sauté for a minute on low medium flame. Then add other spices like nigella seeds, cumin seeds, whole red chilies, 4-5 curry leaves fry them until fragrant for 1-2 minutes.
- Then add grinded onions, mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add remaining ground spice mixture, turmeric powder, and red chili powder, salt and mix them well that no chunks left. Cook it for 3-4 minutes.
- You can also add 1 tbs yogurt to add flavor.
Step 5: Adding eggplants
- After cooking spices add some water and mix it well and then add remaining water as required.
- Then put spiced eggplants into the mixture and cook for 5-6 minutes, the water is added just to cook the eggplants. Change their sides after some time so that they cooked evenly from both sides.
- Then add tamarind pulp and again add water to make gravy.
- Cover the pot and steam cook for 8-10 minutes on low medium flame.
- You can add lemon juice or chopped tomatoes or tomato paste instead of tamarind pulp to make the Appetizing Hyderabadi Baghaar-e-Baingan Recipe sour.
Step 6: Preparing Tadka
- Take a frying pan, add 1-2 tbs oil in it.
- Add cumin seeds, curry leaves, lengthwise cut green chilies and fry them for 3-4 minutes on low medium flame or until they gave fragrant.
Step 7: Final touch
- Add the prepared tadka on the cooked eggplants. The tadka makes this recipe more delicious.
Garnishing make the meal more attractive. You can garnish this delicious eggplant dish with lemon or any other ingredients like fresh corrainder.
Appetizing Hyderabadi Baghaar-e-Baingan Recipe is ready to serve. You can serve this with naan or roti or any other thing.
Also serve salad and drink, they make a great combo and make your meal more appealing.
Eggplants are a rich source of dietary fiber and antioxidants. They are also low in calories, and very healthful for those who are conscious about their weight. The spices used in this recipe, such as turmeric and ginger-garlic, have anti-inflammatory properties and may offer several health benefits.
- Can I use larger eggplants for this recipe?
Yes, you can use larger eggplants, but the cooking time may vary they may take more time than small ones. Ensure that the eggplants are cooked until tender. But it is recommended to use small eggplants.
- Can I make baghaar-e-baingan dish ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the baghaar-e-baingan in advance and reheat it before serving. The flavors tend to develop further when the dish is allowed to sit for some time.
- Is this recipe suitable for vegetarians?
Yes, this recipe is vegan-friendly as it does not include any meat products. It is also very easy to cook and takes no time.
- Can I freeze the leftovers?
Yes, you can freeze the leftover delicious hydrabadi baghaar-e-baingan in an airtight container.
- What are some other popular Hyderabadi dishes?
Hyderabad cuisine is famous for its mouthwatering biryanis, delicious haleem, spicy kebabs, and unique desserts.