Welcome to spiciesstt.com, world full of spices. Today we are here with another delicious recipe known as Easy Dahi Bhalla (Dahi Bara): Creamy Delight Recipe. It is a popular snack that is loved for its creamy and tangy flavors. This delightful dish consists of lentil fritters soaked in yogurt and topped with a medley of savory and sweet chutneys. Whether you’re a fan of street food or want to explore the diverse world of spices, Dahi Bhalla is a must-try dish. In this article, we’ll take you through a step-by-step guide on how to make Easy Dahi Bhalla at home, ensuring a burst of flavors with every bite.
Dahi Bhalla is a delicious snack that is made from lentil fritters known as “bhallay.” These fritters are soaked in thick, creamy yogurt and garnished with an assortment of chutneys, spices, and toppings. The combination of soft and spongy bhallay with tangy yogurt it creates a burst of flavors in every bite. Dahi Bhalla is a refreshing and delicious treat, perfect for hot summer days or as an appetizer for special occasions it’s very easy to make.
Ingredients with Quantity
For Dumpling preparations
- ½ cup Split Black gram (Mash dal)
- ¼ cup Yellow Lentil (Mong dal)
- ½ tsp or to taste Salt (Namak)
- Water as required
- 1 tsp chopped Ginger (Adarak)
- 1-2 or to taste Green chilies (Hari mirch)
- ½ tsp grounded Black pepper (Kali mirch)
- Oil for deep fry
For Yogurt preparation:
- 2-3 cup Water
- ½ tsp Salt (Namak)
- ½ tsp Red chili flakes (Dara mirch)
- ½ kg Yogurt (Dahi)
- 1/3 cup Milk (Dodh)
- ½ tsp Rock Salt (Kala Namak)
- ½ tsp or to taste Salt (Namak)
- 1 tsp Sugar (Cheeni)
- 2-3 tsp Green Chutney (Imli ki chutney)
- 2 tsp Tamarind Chutney (Hari chutney)
- ½ cup Thinly sliced Onion (Pyaz)
- 1 cup Boiled chickpeas (Chany)
- 1 small chopped Tomato (Tamatr)
- ½ cup Julienne uncooked beetroot (Chukandar)
- Fresh & Peeled Pomegranate a good handful (Taza anardana)
- Fresh Coriander (Dhania) for garnishing
- 2 tsp or to taste Green chillies finely chopped (Optional)
- ½ tsp Cumin Powder (Zeera powder)
- ½ tsp Red chili powder (Lal mirch)
- ½ tsp Chaat Masala
Preparation of Easy Dahi Bhalla (Dahi Bara): Creamy Delight Recipe
Step 1: Dumpling Preparations
- Take split black gram, yellow lentil separately. Cleaned and washed them thoroughly. And soak them 4-5 hours or overnight.
- Take a blender add soaked split black gram and yellow lentil, then add other ingredients like chopped ginger, salt, green chilies, ginger and black pepper. Add some water and blend it thoroughly to make paste. Remember don’t add much water nor much less, so that the mixture will not so runny not so thick.
- Take a bowl and add lukewarm water, add salt and crushed red chilies in it.
- Take a deep frying pan and add oil in it and heat it on low flame. Make small balls of mixture and fry them until light golden. Immerse these bhallays into the prepared water.
- Soak the prepared bhallays in water for 20-25 minutes on room temperature.
- Then take them out and press to remove extra water and set aside.
Step 2: Preparing Yogurt
- Take a deep bowl and add whisked yogurt, milk, sugar, both salt and whisk well until all spices well combined. Refrigerate the prepared yogurt till assembling.
Step 3: Assembling
- Take a serving dish or plate, then place prepared bhallays then put prepared yogurt on it.
Now add some boiled chickpeas, tamarind chutney, green chutney, chopped tomatoes, chat masala, red chili flakes, Julienne beetroot, green chilies (optional), coriander leaves, round onions, pomegranate to add flavor to your Easy Dahi Bhalla (Dahi Bara): Creamy Delight Recipe.
Dahi Bhalla is best enjoyed chilled. Serve it as a snack, appetizer, or even as a side dish with your meals. Here are a few serving suggestions:
- Serve Dahi Bhalla with a drizzle of sweet tamarind chutney, mint-coriander chutney, and a sprinkle of other ingredients on top.
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds for an extra burst of freshness and sweetness.
- Take your favorite drink with it.
Yogurt is very beneficial for good health, it improves digestion, boost immunity, reduce risk of cancer, regulates blood sugar level, good for bones, reduce inflammation. It also reduce high blood pressure and reduce risk of heart diseases. Yogurt basically made from bacterial fermentation milk. It also reduce depression and symptoms of allergy.
You make yogurt at home. It is very easy to make. Just heat the milk and add some lemon drop or yogurt into the heated milk and place it in room temperature until milk become yogurt. If you are doing this in winter keep the milk in hot place.
- Can I use any lentils other than urad dal and moong dal for making Dahi Bhalla?
Yes, you can experiment with other lentils like chana dal (split chickpeas) or masoor dal (red lentils). However, the taste and texture may vary. You can also make dumplings from gram flour.
- How long can I store Dahi Bhalla in the refrigerator?
Dahi Bhalla can be stored in the refrigerator for 1-2 days. Make sure to keep it covered to maintain freshness. But the prepared yogurt may become sour.
- Can I make Dahi Bhalla without yogurt?
The essence of Dahi Bhalla lies in the yogurt. However, if you have lactose intolerance or prefer a vegan version, you can try using dairy-free yogurt alternatives.
- What are some other toppings I can add to Dahi Bhalla?
Apart from the mentioned toppings, you can also add roasted cumin seeds, chopped onions, or grated coconut for added flavor and texture or any other ingredients you like.
- Can I make the lentil batter in advance and refrigerate it?
It is recommended to make the lentil batter fresh for the best results. Refrigerating the batter for a longer duration may affect the texture of the bhallay.