Welcome to spiciest.com, the world of different delicious meals made with aromatic spices. Today we are here with another recipe known as Famous Crispy and Flavorful Whole Chicken Lahori Chargha. If you are a fan of succulent and crispy chicken and a meat lover then look no further than the world-renowned Lahori Chargha. This traditional Pakistani dish is famous for its tantalizing flavors and delightful textures of chicken. In this article, we will delve into the origins of Lahori Chargha, explore its unique preparation process, and provide you with a recipe to recreate this delectable dish easily at home. Get ready to tantalize your taste buds with the flavors of crispy & flavorful Lahori Chargha!
Lahori Chargha is a popular dish originating from Lahore, the cultural capital of Pakistan. It is a whole chicken dish marinated with a blend of aromatic spices, herbs, and yogurt, and then deep-fried or shallow fry until golden and crispy. The word “Chargha” translates to “roasted chicken” in Urdu, and Lahori Chargha has become synonymous with the rich culinary heritage of Lahore.
Ingredients with Quantity
- 1 & ½ tbsp. Coriander seeds (Sabut dhania)
- 1 tbsp. Cumin seeds (Zeera)
- 10-12 Button red chilies (Sabut lal mirch)
- ½ tsp Carom seeds (Ajwain)
- ½ tbsp. Black peppercorns (Sabut kali mirch)
- ½ tsp Citric acid (Tatri)
- ½ tsp Garam masala powder
- ½ tsp or to taste Salt (Namak)
- 1 tbsp. Dried mango powder (Khatai powder)
- 25kg Whole chicken
- 3-4 Cups Water
- 1 tbsp. Salt (Namak)
- 4 tbsp. Vinegar (Sirka)
- 1 tbsp. Ginger garlic paste (Adrak lehsan paste)
- 3 tbsp. Lemon juice
- ½ tsp or to taste Salt (Namak)
- 1 & ½ tsp Cumin powder (Zeera powder)
- ½ tbsp. or to taste Lal mirch powder (Red chilli powder)
- ½ tsp Kali mirch powder (Black pepper powder)
- 1 tsp Dhania powder (Coriander powder)
- 1 & ½ tsp crushed Red chilli (Lal mirch)
- 1 tsp Chaat masala (optional)
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder (Haldi powder)
- ½ tsp crushed Carom seeds (Ajwain)
- 2 tbsp. Cornflour
- 1 liter Water
- ½ Cup or as required Cooking oil
Preparation of Famous Crispy and Flavorful Whole Chicken Lahori Chargha
Step 1: Preparing the Spice mixture
- Take a frying pan and add coriander seeds, cumin seeds, button red chilies, carom seeds dry roast them all, you can also roast them separately.
- Roast them until fragrant. And let it cool.
- Now add all the roasted spices into a spice mixer, and other spices like black peppercorn, citric acid, garam masala powder, salt, dried mango powder grind them well into a fine powder.
- Now the spice mix is ready.
Step 2: Marinating the Chicken
- Take whole chicken, wash and clean it thoroughly and pat dry the chicken.
- Now make deep cut on whole chicken so that spices mix well.
- Now take a bowl and add water in it. Then add little amount of salt and vinegar in it and mix well.
- Then put whole chicken in it and cover the bowl. Then place it in refrigerator for 2-3 hours. Then remove chicken from water and put in strainer.
- Now take another bowl and add ginger garlic paste, lemon juice, salt, cumin powder, red chili powder, black pepper powder, coriander powder, crushed red chili, chat masala, turmeric powder, crushed carom seeds, corn flour mix it well. If you are feeling the mixture is dry then add 1 tbs water in it and again mix.
- Now place the dry chicken into the mix spices and rub the spices evenly on whole chicken.
- Then cover the bowl and refrigerate the marinated chicken for 4-6 hours, but for better flavor place it for overnight.
Step 3: Frying the Chicken
- Now take a deep pot and bring it to boil. Then put streamer in it and now place the marinated chicken on it and cover the pot with lid.
- Steam cook on medium flame for approximately 30 mints or until chicken is tender.
- Now take off the crispy and flavorful whole chicken Lahori chargha in a dish.
- You can use stock to prepare yakhni rice.
- Now take a frying pan and add oil in it for shallow frying. Fry crispy and flavorful whole chicken Lahori chargha on medium flame from both side until golden brown. Pour hot oil in between shallow frying.
- You can also deep fry the whole chicken Lahori chargha.
- Now turn off the flame and dish out the prepared crispy and flavorful whole chicken Lahori chargha in serving dish and sprinkle the prepared spice mixture.
Now place the fried Lahori Chargha on a serving platter. Garnish it with fresh coriander leaves, mint leaves, ice burg and lemon wedges for a refreshing touch and sprinkle some prepared spice.
Lahori Chargha is a showstopper dish that can be the star of any meal especially for meat lovers. Here are some serving suggestions or tips to enhance your dining experience:
Serve Famous Crispy and Flavorful Whole Chicken Lahori Chargha with freshly baked naan bread or steamed rice.
- Accompany it with mint chutney, yogurt sauce, or a tangy tamarind chutney for added flavor of crispy chargha.
- Add a side salad of sliced onions, fresh cucumbers, and tomatoes to provide a refreshing contrast with vegetables.
Chicken, the main ingredient in crispy and flavorful Lahori Chargha, offers several health benefits when consumed in moderation. It is a good source of lean protein, which is essential for muscle growth and repair and other health benefits. Chicken also contains important vitamins and minerals like vitamin B6, niacin, selenium, and phosphorus etc.
- Can I use boneless chicken for Lahori Chargha?
Yes, you can use boneless chicken to make Lahori Chargha. However, the bone-in chicken is traditionally preferred for its enhanced flavor and juiciness.
- Can I adjust the spice level of Lahori Chargha?
Absolutely! Feel free to adjust the amount of red chili powder and green chilies according to your spice preference.
- How long does it take to marinate the chicken?
It is recommended to marinate the chicken for at least 6-8 hours or overnight to allow the flavors to infuse thoroughly.
- Can I freeze the marinated chicken for later use?
Yes, you can freeze the marinated chicken in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw it in the refrigerator before frying.
- Is Lahori Chargha gluten-free?
Yes, Lahori Chargha is gluten-free as long as you use gluten-free ingredients and avoid cross-contamination during preparation.