Welcome to spiciesst.com, it’s a place where you will get variety of delicious and spicy dishes according to your choice. Today we are here with another wholesome & flavorful recipe known as Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Spicy Beef Chapli Kebabs with Tangy Tamarind Chutney. When it comes to culinary delights, the province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa in Pakistan is famous for its rich and flavorful cuisine especially of meat recipes. One of the most beloved and iconic dishes from this region of Pakistan is the Spicy Beef Chapli Kebab, known for its aromatic spices and juicy taste. In this article, we will explore the about beef chapli kebab’s origin, ingredients, preparation, and cultural significance of these mouthwatering kebabs. Additionally, we’ll delve into the art of making a tangy tamarind chutney that perfectly complements the beef chapli kebabs’ flavors.
The origin of Beef Chapli Kebabs can be traced back to the Pashtun tribes of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Pakistan’s province. The word “Chapli” translates to “flat” in the Pashto language, and it refers to the shape of the kebabs. These kebabs were traditionally prepared as an energy-packed meal for the nomadic Pashtun warriors who needed sustenance during their long journeys which can be stored for longer time.
Ingredients with Quantity
Prepare Chapli Kabab:
- 2 medium chopped Onion (Pyaz)
- 750g Mince (Beef qeema) (with 20% fat)
- 1 tbs Adrak lehsan paste (Ginger garlic paste)
- 3-4 chopped Green chillies (Hari mirch)
- 2 medium deseeded & chopped Tomatoes (Tamatar)
- 1 tsp crushed Carom seeds (Ajwain)
- 1 tbs crushed Red chili (Lal mirch)
- ½ tbs or to taste Salt (Namak)
- 1 & ½ tbs Coriander seeds crushed (Sabut dhania)
- 1 tbs roasted Cumin seeds (Zeera)
- 2 tbs crushed Dried pomegranate (Anardana)
- 1 tsp Garam masala powder
- ¾ Cup roasted Wheat flour (Chakki atta)
- Chopped handful Fresh coriander (Hara dhania)
- 1 Egg (Anda)
- 2 tbs Cooking oil
Prepare BBQ Hari Chutney:
- Handful Mint leaves (Podina)
- Handful Fresh coriander (Hara dhania)
- 1 clove sliced Garlic (Lehsan)
- 3-4 Green chilies (Hari mirch)
- 1 tsp crushed Red chili (Lal mirch)
- 1 tbs roasted & crushed Cumin seeds (Zeera)
- 1 tbs roasted & crushed coriander seeds (Dhania)
- 1 & ½ tsp or to taste Salt (Namak)
- 1 & ½ Cup Tamarind water (Imli water)
Preparation of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Spicy Beef Chapli Kebabs with Tangy Tamarind Chutney
Step 1: Preparing Kebab Mixture
- First of all, take beef mince and wash it well. Put the washed mince in a basket and set aside to let it dry completely.
- Then put beef mince in the bowl and add all the spices like chopped & squeezed onion, ginger garlic paste, green chili, tomatoes, carom seeds, red chili crushed, salt, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, dried pomegranate, garam masala powder, wheat flour, fresh coriander, mix well mince & spices, & knead for 10-12 minutes.
- Note chopped the onions and put into muslim cloth and squeeze all the water.
- Then add 1 egg into the mince and mix well. Egg help the kebabs in binding the kebabs.
- Cover the bowl and place the beef chapli kebab mixture into the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or more.
Step 2: Shaping the Kebabs
- Now take a small bowl and add chilled water & some cubes and set aside.
- It’s a time of shaping the beef chapli kebab, it’s a fun part in making the beef chapli kebab.
- Dip your hands in the prepared chilled water and knead the beef chapli kebab mixture for 1-2 minutes.
- With wet hands take beef chapli kebab mixture of 50g. You can also put some oil instead of dipping in chilled water. Oil make the hands greasy, this avoid the beef chapli kebab sticking from hand.
- Make a smooth ball of small mixture, press to make a flat patty & make finger impressions on both sides of chapli kebabs.
- Put one slice of tomato on the beef chapli kebab to enhance flavor.
- Make 17-18 beef chapli kebabs of the prepared beef chapli kebab mixture.
- Place the prepared chapli kebabs into the refrigerator for 30 minutes before frying, so that the beef chapli kebabs retain their shape.
Step 3: Frying Chapli Kebab
- Take a frying pan and add little amount of oil and grease the pan with brush. Heat the pan on low-medium flame.
- Now carefully place the prepared chapli kebabs on frying pan.
- Fry the spicy beef chapli kebabs on medium heat and turn golden brown & crispy from one side, then change the side of kebab and cook the other side until it turns golden brown & crispy.
- Take out the fried crispy chapli kebabs and put on tissue paper to remove excess oil.
- You can also cook the spicy beef chapli kebabs on charcoal grill for smoky flavor.
Step 4: Preparing BBQ Hari Chutney
- To prepare special BBQ Hari Chutney, first of all we prepare all the ingredients.
- Wash fresh mint and coriander leaves thoroughly and set aside to let them dry.
- Peel off the garlic cloves and wash them.
- Put the mint and coriander leaves, and garlic cloves in the blender or chopper, and add other ingredients & spices like green chilies, red chili crushed, roasted & crushed cumin seeds, roasted & crushed coriander seeds, salt, tamarind water & blend well to make it fine chutney.
- Take out the prepared BBQ Hari chutney into bowl and place in refrigerator to let it cool.
Chapli Kebabs hold immense cultural importance in the province of Pakistan Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. Now it’s time to garnish the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Spicy Beef Chapli Kebabs with Tangy Tamarind Chutney. Garnish the spicy beef chapli kebab with fresh coriander & mint leaves, sliced tomato and some slices onions. They are not just a delightful dish but also a representation of Pashtun hospitality and generosity, also their love. These kebabs are often served to guests during special occasions and celebrations.
Spicy Beef Chapli Kebabs are best enjoyed with fresh naan or tandoori roti, and with tangy tamarind chutney which enhance the flavor. You can also serve them with a side of raita or green chutney or sliced onions and sliced green chilies to balance the spiciness.
Beef chapli kebab is a good source of proteins. Beef Chapli Kebabs are packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that contribute to overall health & support body. The tangy tamarind chutney helps in digestion. Beef chapli kebab prevent iron deficiency, promote muscles health.
- What makes Chapli Kebabs unique?
Chapli Kebabs stand out for their distinct blend of spices and the use of fresh ingredients like tomatoes and coriander.
- Can I use lamb or chicken instead of beef for chapli kebab?
Yes, you can. While beef is traditional, you can use lamb or chicken to prepare delicious kebabs.
- Are Chapli Kebabs spicy?
Yes, they have a spicy kick to them, but you can adjust the spice level according to your preference.
- Can I freeze Chapli Kebabs?
Yes, you can freeze the shaped kebabs and fry them whenever you crave a delicious meal.
- Is the tamarind chutney sweet or savory?
The tamarind chutney strikes a perfect balance between sweet, tangy, and mildly spicy flavors.