Welcome to spiciesst.com, it is your ultimate destination. Today we are here with another appetizing recipe known as Palatable Pakistani Degi Aloo Chana Pulao: Potato Chickpea Pulao. Pakistani cuisine is renowned for its diverse flavors, vibrant colors, and aromatic spices and variety of meals. It encompasses a wide range of dishes that reflect the country’s rich culinary heritage and cultural influences. One such dish is the Palatable Pakistani Degi Aloo Chana Pulao, which showcases the harmonious combination of potatoes, chickpeas, and fragrant spices mixed with rice.
Palatable Pakistani Degi Aloo Chana Pulao has its roots in the northern regions of Pakistan, where it is a popular choice for special occasions and family gatherings and easy to cook. The word “degi” refers to the traditional cooking vessel used to prepare this pulao, which imparts a distinct flavor to the dish. The use of aromatic spices and the careful layering of ingredients are the hallmarks of this recipe, creating a memorable and flavorsome experience.
Here is the step by step process of making this palatable dish.
Ingredients with Quantity
- 750g Sella Rice (Chawal) (soaked for 1 hour)
- 1 tbs Cumin seeds (Zeera)
- 1 tbs Coriander seeds (Sabut dhania)
- ½ tbs Fennel seeds (Saunf)
- 7-8 Button red chillies (Sabut lal mirch)
- ½ piece Nutmeg (Jaifil)
- 3 blades Mace (Javitri)
- ½ Cup or as required Cooking oil
- 2 large sliced Onion (Pyaz)
- 2 Black cardamom (Badi elaichi)
- ½ tsp Black peppercorns (Sabut kali mirch)
- 2 Cinnamon sticks (Darchini)
- 1 Bay leaf (Tez patta)
- 6-7 Cloves (Laung)
- 1 tbs Cumin seeds (Zeera)
- 1 Star anise (Badiyan ka phool)
- 1 & ½ tbs paste Green chilli (Hari mirch)
- 1 & ½ tbs Ginger garlic paste (Adrak lehsan paste)
- 1 large sliced Tomato (Tamatar)
- 1 cup Dahi (Yogurt)
- 1 tsp crushed Red chilli (Lal mirch)
- 1 tbs or to taste Salt (Namak)
- 1 tbs Chicken powder
- ½ cup or as required Water
- 300g Chickpeas (Chanay) (boiled with salt)
- 5 cups or as required Water
- 7-8 Dried plums (Aloo bukhara)
- 3-4 Green chillies (Hari mirch)
Preparation of Palatable Pakistani Degi Aloo Chana Pulao: Potato Chickpea Pulao
Step 1: Preparing the Rice
- Take Sella or basmati rice and clean them thoroughly.
- Then rinse them under clean running water until the water runs clear.
- Then add water and soak them for soaked for 1 hour or 30 minutes.
Step 2: Cooking Chickpeas
- Take required chickpeas and cleaned them.
- Then soak them over night after washing them thoroughly.
- Take pressure cooker add water, 1 tbs salt and cooked the chickpea until get soft.
- You can also cook them in a pot, but it take more time.
Step 3: Roasting & Grinding Spices
- Take a frying pan, then add cumin seeds, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, button red chilies, nutmeg, mace & dry roast them on low flame until fragrant.
- Let the roasted ingredients cool.
- Take a mortal & pestle or a spice mixer, and then add roasted spices in it, crush them coarsely & set aside for later use.
Step 4: Prepare Spice Mixture
- Take a deep pot, add cooking oil, and heat on low medium flame then add onion & fry until change color to golden, take some golden onions and reserve half for later use.
- Then in remaining fried onion, add ginger garlic paste and cook for a minute then add other spices like black cardamoms, black peppercorns, cinnamon sticks, bay leaf, cloves, cumin seeds, star anise, mix well & cook on low medium flame.
- Then add green chili paste, mix well on lo medium flame.
- Then add sliced tomato, yogurt, add other spices crushed red chili, salt, chicken powder, crushed spices (2 tbs) & mix them well.
- Add potatoes (peel them and cut in cubes). Then add half cup water, cover the pot with lid & cook on medium flame for 5-6 minutes so that spices mix and well-cooked then cook on high flame until oil separates and potatoes tender.
- Then add boiled chickpeas & mix it well.
- Add more water & mix well with a spoon.
- Then add dried plums, green chilies (make a cut lengthwise don’t separate them), mix well, cover the pot & bring it to boil.
- Then add soaked rice in boiling water, mix well, cover & cook on medium flame until water is reduced to 1 Cup for 3-4 minutes.
- Then sprinkle remaining crushed spices (1 tbs), then cover the pot with kitchen cloth, lid & steam cook on low flame for 16-18 minutes or until rice cooked.
Garnish Pakistani Degi Aloo Chana Pulao with reserved fried onions or chopped green chilies.
Palatable Pakistani Degi Aloo Chana Pulao: Potato Chickpea Pulao is a complete meal in itself, but you can serve it with raita prepared with green chutney (yogurt sauce) or a refreshing cucumber and mint salad. The pulao pairs well with a variety of side dishes such as chicken tikka, kebabs, or vegetable curry or any BBQ dish.
This delicious pulao dish offers several health benefits. The combination of potatoes and chickpeas provides a good source of carbohydrates, proteins, and dietary fiber and other nutritional benefits. Chickpeas provide fats, phosphorus, folate, vitamins, magnesium and potassium etc. The aromatic spices like red chili, black pepper or green chilies used in the recipe not only enhance the flavor but also offer potential health benefits, including anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- Is Palatable Pakistani Degi Aloo Chana Pulao spicy?
The level of spiciness can be adjusted according to personal preference like savory or less spicy. You can add more or fewer green chilies and red chili powder to suit your taste and also other spices.
- Can I substitute any ingredients in this recipe?
Yes, you can customize the recipe to your liking. You can add Bengal gram and garbanzo beans or vegetables like carrots or peas or capsicum even include meat such as chicken or lamb for a non-vegetarian version.
- How long does it take to cook Palatable Pakistani Degi Aloo Chana Pulao?
The cooking time can vary, but on average, it takes about 30-40 minutes to prepare this pulao from start to finish or depend on the ingredients you use.
- Can I store leftovers of Palatable Pakistani Degi Aloo Chana Pulao?
Yes sure, you can store leftovers Pakistani Degi Aloo Chana Pula in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days. Reheat it in a pan (sprinkle some water for good heating) or microwave before serving.
- What are some variations of Palatable Pakistani Degi Aloo Chana Pulao?
There are several variations you can explore, such as adding dried fruits like raisins and apricots for a touch of sweetness or incorporating nuts like almonds or cashews for added crunch and flavor or you can skip some ingredients.