Welcome to spiciesst.com, it’s a place where you can get variety of recipes of delicious dishes. Today we are here with another recipe known as Simple & Delicious Khichdi Recipe – Simplicity at Its Best. Khichdi, often dubbed as the “ultimate comfort food,” is a timeless dish that brings together the simplicity of rice and lentils in a harmonious blend with just some spices. This humble one-pot meal is not only easy to make but also easy on the stomach, and also incredibly versatile, making it a staple in households across almost all the regions.
Khichdi is a traditional dish that finds its roots deep in history. It’s a harmonious blend of rice and lentils, often cooked together with various spices for unique flavor. Khichdi’s simplicity is its strength, making it an easily digestible and soothing meal, particularly suitable for those looking for comfort in their plates, moreover it is so easy and simple to cook. Even for those who didn’t know how to cook.
Khichdi is a classic and simple delicious dish that has been cherished for generations. It’s not just a comfort food; it’s a versatile and nutritious meal that brings together the goodness of rice, lentils, and aromatic spices in one pot. This article will guide you a simple and easy way through the art of preparing a delightful Khichdi that satisfies your taste buds and nourishes your body. So, let’s dive into the world of flavors and learn how to make the perfect Khichdi step by step and enjoy cooking.
Ingredients with Quantity
- ¼ cup Ghee
- 5-6 Cloves (Laung)
- 2 Cinnamon sticks (Darchini)
- 8-10 Black pepper (Sabut kali mirch)
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds (Zeera)
- 2 Cardamom (Bari elaichi)
- 8-10 or to taste Curry leaves
- 1 cup Split green moong lentil (soaked for 1 hour) (Moong Dal)
- 1 cup red lentil (soaked for 1 hour) (Masor Dal)
- 1 & ½ cup Rice (soaked for 1 hour)
- 1 tsp Salt (Namak)
- 4 & ½ cups Water
- 1 cup Yogurt (Dahi)
- ½ tbs chopped Coriander leaves (Dhania)
- 2 tbs chopped Onion (Payaz)
- 1 tbs or to taste chopped Green chili (Hari mirch)
- Salt to taste
Preparation of Simple & Delicious Khichdi Recipe – Simplicity at Its Best
Step 1: Preparing the Lentils and Rice
- Take the rice and the lentils of your desire quantity separately. Clean them and wash together under running water until the water runs clear.
- Then soak them for at least half an hour or more. Then drain it & set aside.
Step 2: Tempering the Spices
- Take a heavy-bottomed pan and add ghee or oil in it and heat it.
- Then grated ginger, minced garlic and sauté for a minute.
- Then add cumin seeds and just sauté for a minute.
- Also add green chilies, cloves, cinnamon sticks, black pepper, curry leaves, turmeric powder, cumin powder, and coriander powder and salt, cook them for a minute.
- You can also add a chicken cube stock to enhance flavor.
- If you are making the khichdi for ill people then avoid too much spice, use just salt, cumin powder, green chili and for more flavor add 1 chicken cube.
Step 3: Cooking the Khichdi
- You can also cook the lentils first for 2-3 minutes, after that add water
- Now add soaked lentils into the pan and sauté for 2-3 minute.
- Then add required amount of water and stir well, bring it to boil.
- Then add soaked rice in the boiling waters.
- Note as we all know that rice required double quantity of water it also depend upon the timing of soaked rice, but khichdi require more than double water just half cup or glass more of your measured quantity.
- Then cover the pan and let the khichdi cook on low heat until the rice and lentils are soft and well-cooked.
- You can adjust the water quantity in khichdi according to your preferred consistency.
- You can also make bhagar on khichdi. Just chopped a tomato remove seeds and chop an onion and put them into oil and make bhagar, then pour on the prepared khichdi.
Step 4: Prepare Raita and Tomato Chutney
- Take a bowl and add yogurt, whisk well.
- Then add chopped coriander leaves, chopped onions, chopped tomato (optional), crushed green chili or green chili paste, salt and mix well all the ingredients well.
- The delicious raita is ready to serve.
- Take 3-4 tomatoes and roast them, then peel them.
- Then add tomatoes and whole red chilies and 3-4 garlic clove in the blender and grind them until pureed.
- Then take a frying pan and add 3-4 tbs oil in it, also add roasted & crushed cumin seeds and fry for a minute.
- Then add pureed tomato in it and cook until oil separates. Add salt in it.
- Let the delicious tomato chutney cool and can be stored it for 1 week into the refrigerator.
Simple & Delicious Khichdi Recipe – Simplicity at Its Best is ready to serve. It’s time to garnish the delicious khichdi with chopped fresh coriander and mint leaves. You can personalize it with seasonal vegetables, different lentils, or even a mix of grains. Each variation offers a unique twist to this classic dish. You can also serve it with a dollop of ghee or oil on top while serving, but best option is tadka.
Serve the delicious khichdi hot with yogurt sauce or raita, pickle, or papad for a satisfying meal and for best enjoyed served it with tomato chutney. You can also pair the delicious khichdi with roasted vegetables or a side salad of cucumber and onions to add more texture and flavors to your plate.
Khichdi isn’t just a culinary delight; it’s also a nutritional powerhouse for our body. It’s a complete protein source especially for sick people, thanks to the combination of rice and lentils. This wholesome dish is rich in dietary fiber, essential vitamins, and minerals, making it an excellent choice for maintaining a balanced diet and loves when served with tomato chutney or raita. Moreover, its gentle and soft nature makes it a preferred option during illness or recovery periods from any disease.
- Is Khichdi suitable for all ages?
Absolutely! Khichdi is gentle on the stomach and can be enjoyed by children, adults, and the elderly alike.
- Can I make Khichdi in an instant pot?
Yes, an instant pot can significantly expedite the cooking process. You just have to follow the same step of preparation and adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Is Khichdi a complete meal by itself?
Yes, Khichdi provides a balanced combination of carbohydrates and proteins, making it a wholesome one-pot meal.
- Can I skip the ghee for a healthier version?
While ghee adds a rich flavor, you can substitute it with vegetable oil if you prefer.
- What are some common Khichdi variations?
Some popular variations include adding vegetables like spinach, carrots, or peas, or using different lentils like masoor dal or toor dal.